ASP 71: Should You Be a Controversial Author?
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.”
– Flannery O’Connor
It’s important for authors to take a strong stance to build a strong and loyal audience. But topics like politics and religion elicit very strong reactions from people. Barrie and Steve talk about being a controversial author and how to maintain your authenticity when controversial topics come up.
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- Steve’s recent experience posting some controversial remarks on Facebook and lessons learned
- The impact of sharing your feelings on controversial topics to social media on your author business
- How to maintain your authenticity when you censor yourself
- What you can learn from authors who write and talk about controversial topics and do so successfully
- How your niche or topic can help determine what you should avoid talking about
- The difference between being controversial and being offensive
- Barrie’s rule of thumb when it comes to posting about controversial topics on social media
Important Links and Mentions
Turn your idea into a bestselling book!
Download your free copy of The Bestseller Checklist at APChecklist.com. Learn the 46 steps we personally follow when self-publishing our bestsellers.
Looking for a supportive community of writers and authors?
Be an Authority and join the Authority Self-Publishing Facebook group. Head over to Mastermind.pub.
Thanks for Listening to ASP!
We appreciate you taking the time to listen to the Authority Self-Publishing show.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, please do one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you need us to elaborate on the topic.
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your friends, family, and contacts.
- Go over to iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast.
We appreciate you taking the time to check out ASP! And we look forward to providing you with more content in the next episode!