ASP 80: Jyotsna Ramachandran on Outsourcing Parts of Self-Publishing Business
Jyotsna Ramachandran is a stay at home mom of 2 kids and the founder of Happy Self Publishing. She started her online business journey by publishing books written by ghostwriters. This gave her the confidence to write her own book Job Escape Plan.
Her claim to fame was when her book got featured in Inc.com as one of the Top 10 start your own business books of 2015. She then started Happy Self Publishing to help authors produce professional self-published books through their array of services like cover design, writing, editing, formatting, audiobooks, etc. They have till date served over a 100 happy clients!
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- Why Steve is a satisfied customer of Happy Self Publishing
- Jyotsna’s self-publishing story and her books
- The story behind Happy Self Publishing
- Aspects of self-publishing can be outsourced and what are the things that should be outsourced
- The reasonable publishing budget that an author must allocate
- How to get the best out of your designer, editor and formatterHow to look for good cover designers
- How to ensure that your self-published book doesn't look self-published
- Pros and cons of outsourcing writing
- How to maximize the quality of writingFuture plans for Happy Self Publishing
Important Links and Mentions:
3 Lists To Author Productivity
(adapted by Jyotsna Ramachandran from Chris Ducker)
Authors Shouldn't Do
- Cover Design
- Website/ landing page design
- Book Trailer
- Social media creatives
Authors Can Do (but don't have to)
- Writing (yes! you don't have to write if you can't)
- Audiobook Narration
- List on Amazon
- Submit to promo sites/ FB groups
- Category/ Keyword research
- Run FB ads
- Post on social media
Authors Should Do
- Strategy for growth
- Build author platform
- Relationship with followers
- Relationship with other authors & influencers
- Give podcast interviews
- Speak at events, online summits, do webinars
- Publish more books
- Develop new products like online courses
5 Point Checklist to Outsource Anything Like a Pro
1. Get Clarity on What Exactly you Want
2. Provide References to explain what you want
3. Check Quality of Work by
- Reading Testimonials
- Looking at Previous Work
- Requesting a Sample
4. Test Communication Skills
5. Discuss Timeline & Payment Terms
Turn your idea into a bestselling book!
Download your free copy of The Bestseller Checklist at APChecklist.com. Learn the 46 steps we personally follow when self-publishing our bestsellers.
Looking for a supportive community of writers and authors?
Be an Authority and join the Authority Self-Publishing Facebook group.
Thanks for Listening to ASP!
We appreciate you taking the time to listen to the Authority Self-Publishing show. Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please do one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you need us to elaborate on the topic.
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your friends, family, and contacts.
- Go over to iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast.
We appreciate you taking the time to check out ASP! And we look forward to providing you with more content in the next episode!