ASP 74: Does Size Matter? How to Find the Right Length for Your Book
“Good things come in small packages.”
In this episode, Steve and Barrie answer a popular question among self-published authors: What the “right” book length? Steve reveals his word count sweet spot and how tracking book sales helps him determine what book length to aim for.
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- How to keep track of your book sales and what patterns to look for
- What to track:
- Earnings PER book PER month
- Total revenue per book
- Total revenue per month
- % of total earnings per book
- Word count per book
- Patterns to look for:
- Average breakeven price per book
- “Type” of book resonates with my audience
- The impact of book length on sales
- Steve’s “sweet spot” when it comes to the length of your books
- The relationship between the length of the book and earnings
- The 3 instances when book size (length) really matters
- Super short books (like under 10K words) might make people think it doesn’t provide much value.
- Book Bub Featured Deal. BookBub prefers longer books, at least 100 pages on Kindle. This means it NEEDS to be at least 25,000 to 30,000 words.
- Longer books cost more money to edit, format and turn into an audiobook.
- You want to hit a minimum word count, but at a certain point, a longer book does NOT equate to more sales.
- A book should be as long as it takes to teach a concept.
- Aim for at least 15,000 to 20,000 words, but anything beyond that is up to you.
Important Links and Mentions:
Table of Contents
The Authority Pub Academy is NOW OPEN!
Learn the authority self-publishing strategies Steve and Barrie use to earn a six-figure income each year from books sales alone: REGISTER HERE
Turn your idea into a bestselling book!
Download your free copy of The Bestseller Checklist at APChecklist.com. Learn the 46 steps we personally follow when self-publishing our bestsellers.
Be an Authority and join the Authority Self-Publishing Facebook group.
Thanks for Listening to ASP!
We appreciate you taking the time to listen to the Authority Self-Publishing show.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, please do one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you need us to elaborate on the topic.
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your friends, family, and contacts.
- Go over to iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast.
We appreciate you taking the time to check out ASP! And we look forward to providing you with more content in the next episode!