What separates the casual writer from the professional one is the commitment to daily writing. But sometimes it’s more of a challenge to get the words flowing.
If nothing triggered you today, and if your mind is playing hopscotch with ideas, writing prompts can get you past the brain block into full writing mode.
The following lists are creative writing prompts for adults, and while there’s nothing NSFW ahead, the writing ideas are best suited to books written for mature readers.
You’ll find prompts for nonfiction, fiction, and short story writing.
Here’s how to use these writing prompts:
- Choose a prompt that inspires you to write.
- Feel free to alter the writing idea to suit your creative writing needs.
- View the prompt as an idea to kickstart your writing.
- Begin writing and allow your ideas to flow and lead your writing wherever it might go.
- Write as little or as much as you wish to prime your imaginative juices.
- Don’t judge or critique what you’ve written — just enjoy the process.
- Once you’ve completed the prompt writing, move on to your book writing, or use the prompt writing as part of a book you might decide to write.