“Being a writer is not just about typing. It’s also about surviving the rollercoaster of the creative journey.”
– Joanna Penn
Joanna Penn is one of the most successful self-published authors in the industry. She is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thrillers under J.F. Penn.
She also writes inspirational non-fiction for authors and is an award-winning creative entrepreneur and international professional speaker. Her site, TheCreativePenn.com is regularly voted one of the top 10 sites for writers and self-publishers.
Joanna broke free from the corporate world and started her TheCreativePenn on December 2008. She joined NaNoWriMo in November 2009. Her NaNoWrimo draft became her first fiction book. Joanna is passionate about helping nonfiction writers breakthrough the limiting beliefs that hold them back from writing fiction books.
Specific limiting mindsets that tend to hold authors back:
- Imposter syndrome
- Need for validation
- Fear of failure
- Fear of rejection and criticism
- Your inner critic
- Fear of judgment
- Writer’s block
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- How Joanna started her writing journey and how she came to write thrillers
- Specific limiting mindsets that tend to hold authors back how writers can push past them
- How authors should handle bad reviews and the feelings they evoke
- The best advice Joanna received as an author that has improved her mindset and made her more confident
- Specific steps Joanna takes when releases a new FICTION book and what do she does to market it
- How packaging a series is a smart marketing idea
- How marketing a fiction book differs from marketing non-fiction
- How an author platform can help fiction marketing and sales
Important links and mentions:
- J.F. Penn
- The CReative Penn
- Thriller Fest
- Hunterian Museum
- Write to Market by Chris Fox
- A Day of the Vikings (J.F. Penn’s lead magnet)
- Author Mindset by Joanna Penn
- Arkane series
Turn your idea into a bestselling book!
Download your free copy of The Bestseller Checklist at APChecklist.com. Learn the 46 steps we personally follow when self-publishing our bestsellers.
Looking for a supportive community of writers and authors?
Be an Authority and join the Authority Self-Publishing Facebook group.
Thanks for Listening to ASP!
We appreciate you taking the time to listen to the Authority Self-Publishing show.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, please do one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you need us to elaborate on the topic.
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your friends, family, and contacts.
- Go over to iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast.
We appreciate you taking the time to check out ASP! And we look forward to providing you with more content in the next episode!