Whether you’re a professional, a blogger, a consultant, a homemaker, a retiree, or anything else — you can learn how to write a book.
Now before you think, “I can’t write a book. What would I write about? Who’d want to read a book I’ve written?” — please hear me out.
I never thought about writing a book either, but as of today, I’ve written more than 20 books over the last year 3 years. I’m not sharing this to brag, but just to let you know it can be done, even if you don’t think of yourself as a book writer.
I had all sorts of limiting beliefs around writing a book, not the least of which was how I would get it published. But the publishing industry has changed dramatically in the last few years, and self-publishing your own book is becoming more the norm rather than the exception.
As more and more writers become indie authors, and as current self-published authors learn to adopt professional publishing practices, indie authors will capture an increased share of the market. But that’s not the only reason for you to write a book.
Being an author who writes books gives you loads of credibility, authority, and name recognition.
Writing a book related to your profession or expertise will make the book like a calling card for potential clients and a way to generate new business. Know how to write a book allows you to be viewed as an expert and someone who carries some clout in the industry.
If you have a blog related to a particular topic, writing your own books gives you another way to build your following and create an additional income stream.
Even if you’re writing a novel, having the title “published author” next to your name gives you a boost of confidence, broadens your skill set, and makes you a more interesting person.
Can you make any money writing books?
Yes, you can, if you know the skills and strategies involved, and if you’re disciplined and consistent in writing.
If the idea of writing a book intrigues you, then you can get started right away in telling your story, sharing your expertise, or teaching a skill.
- Here are ten steps to writing a book:
- How To Start A Book (Step One): Determine your goal.
- Step Two Of Writing A Book: Define your topic
- Step Three Of Writing A Book: Create an outline.
- Step Four Of Writing A Book: Determine how you will write.
- Step Five Of Writing A Book: A writing schedule with daily goals.
- Step Six Of Writing A Book: Create the environment.
- Step Seven Of Writing A Book: Write, don’t critique.
- Step Eight Of Writing A Book: Rewrite and polish.
- Step Nine Of Writing A Book: Find a professional editor.
- Step Ten Of Writing A Book: You finished! Now publish your book.