ASP 83: Pen Names: Should You Use One?
“The decision to use a pen name was nothing more than a desire to compartmentalize my life.”
– Ashwin Sanghi
In this episode, Steve makes a “surprising” confession about his name. Steve and Barrie also discuss the pros and cons of using pen names and the factors you need to consider in choosing one.
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- The story of Steve’s pen name
- The pros and cons of pen names
- Questions to ask yourself when choosing a pen name:
- Do you publish in a sensitive market where you don’t want friends and family knowing about it?
- Do you feel it’s important to protect your personal life?
- Do you have a unique name where it’s easy to “track you down”?
Pros of Pen Names
- You remain anonymous
- It protects your personal life
- It can “Americanize” your name
- Allows you to build different brands
Cons of Pen Names
- Some people feel it’s deceptive.
- It can lead to weird, awkward in-person conversations
- It can create confusion on legal documents
Turn your idea into a bestselling book!
Download your free copy of The Bestseller Checklist at APChecklist.com. Learn the 46 steps we personally follow when self-publishing our bestsellers.
Looking for a supportive community of writers and authors?
Be an Authority and join the Authority Self-Publishing Facebook group.
Thanks for Listening to ASP!
We appreciate you taking the time to listen to the Authority Self-Publishing show.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, please do one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you need us to elaborate on the topic.
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your friends, family, and contacts.
- Go over to iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast.
We appreciate you taking the time to check out ASP! And we look forward to providing you with more content in the next episode!