ASP 81: What Are Your Self-Publishing Goals for 2017?
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
— Stephen A. Brennan
Steve and Barrie discuss their self-publishing goals for 2017 and how other self-published authors can use SMART goal setting to accomplish more in the coming year.
SMART Goal Setting
S: Specific goals answer your six “W” questions: who, what, where, when, which and why.
- Who: Who is involved?
- What: What do you want to accomplish?
- Where: Where will you complete the goal?
- When: When do you want to do it?
- Which: Which requirements and constraints might get in your way?
- Why: Why are you doing it?
M: Measurable goals are defined with precise times, amounts, or other units—essentially anything that measures progress toward a goal.
A: Attainable goals are not impossible to complete, they’re often challenging and full of obstacles. The key to creating an attainable goal is to look at your current life and set an objective that seems slightly beyond your reach. That way, even if you fail, you still accomplish something of significance.
R: Relevant goals focus on what you truly desire. They are the exact opposite of inconsistent or scattered goals. They are in harmony with everything that is important in your life, from success in your career to happiness with the people you love.
T: Time-bound goals have specific deadlines. You are expected to achieve your desired outcome before a target date. Time-bound goals are challenging and grounding. You can set your target date for today, or you can set it for a few months, a few weeks or a few years from now. The key to creating a time-bound goal is to set a deadline you’ll meet by working backward and developing habits (more on this later).
Barrie’s Self-Publishing Goals for 2017:
- Set up a podcast tour on self-help and relationship podcasts to promote my books.
- Write and publish 6 books, 3 of my own and 3 with Steve Scott.
- Work with Steve Scott on publishing 3 books on writing and self-publishing.
- Market my Emotional Abuse series of 3 books as a bundle.
- Focus on Audible for several of my books and test CDs for one of my books.
- Relaunch 2 existing books with new marketing plan.
Steve’s Self-Publishing Goals for 2017:
- Publish 5 habit-specific books.
- Build a mini-funnel for at least 3 books.
- Focus on completing a “massive launch” of Habit Stacking 2.0.
- Publish at least 3 self-publishing related books with Barrie and Ron.
- Record 100 podcast episodes.
Turn your idea into a bestselling book!
Download your free copy of The Bestseller Checklist at APChecklist.com. Learn the 46 steps we personally follow when self-publishing our bestsellers.
Looking for a supportive community of writers and authors?
Be an Authority and join the Authority Self-Publishing Facebook group.
Thanks for Listening to ASP!
We appreciate you taking the time to listen to the Authority Self-Publishing show.
Did you enjoy this episode?
If so, please do one (or all) of the following:
- Leave a comment on this page or ask a question if you need us to elaborate on the topic.
- Use the social media buttons to share this episode with your friends, family, and contacts.
- Go over to iTunes or Stitcher to leave a rating/review and to subscribe to the podcast.
We appreciate you taking the time to check out ASP! And we look forward to providing you with more content in the next episode!