25 Motivating Quotes About Writing
Step into any elementary school classroom on Career Day and you’re bound to find at least one child whose sole goal in life is to be a writer.
Maybe they know someone who writes, or maybe they just have a story to tell — whatever the reason, they feel life will be incomplete if they can’t write when they grow up. Did I just describe you?
Many a high school newspaper has been started on the side, anonymously, by a quiet teenager who is observant. The need to prove their abilities keeps their articles ethical.
The insatiable desire to write about what they see, either as fact or fiction, keeps them up at night. Perhaps this was you?
Type the word “blog” into any search engine, along with whatever topic interests you, and you’re bound to find people who write for a living — or live to write — or both.
It doesn’t matter when the writing bug bites you, as long as you succumb to the desires. If you don’t, you end up feeling like something in life is missing.
Enjoy these 25 Motivating Quotes About Writing:
1. “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” ~Toni Morrison
2. “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” ~Madeleine L’Engle
3. “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” ~Stephen King
4. “We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.” ~Anaïs Nin
5. “Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It’s a way of understanding it.” ~Lloyd Alexander
6. “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” ~Robert Frost
7. “The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” ~Mark Twain
8. “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” ~E.L. Doctorow
9. “Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly — they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.” ~Aldous Huxley
Read Related: How to Outline A NonFiction Book
10. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” ~Louis L’Amour
11. “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.” ~Henry David Thoreau
12. “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” ~Stephen King
13. “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” ~William Wordsworth
14. “A word after a word after a word is power.” ~Margaret Atwood
15. “Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it’s always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.” ~Neil Gaiman
16. “You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.” ~Jack London
17. “Write the kind of story you would like to read. People will give you all sorts of advice about writing, but if you are not writing something you like, no one else will like it either.” ~Meg Cabot
18. “If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.” ~Anaïs Nin
19. “Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.” ~John Steinbeck
20. “Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s.” ~Stephen King
21. “Write what should not be forgotten.” ~Isabel Allende
22. “Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ~Pablo Picasso
23. “Easy reading is damn hard writing.” ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
24. “Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule.” ~Stephen King
25. “We can destroy what we have written, but we cannot unwrite it.” ~Anthony Burgess
Do you have a favorite quote that keeps you motivated to write?
If you need to write as much as you need to breathe, I hope these quotes will keep you going, keep you writing, and keep you inspired. You are a writer. Now, go write!