Step into any elementary school classroom on Career Day and you’re bound to find at least one child whose sole goal in life is to be a writer.
Maybe they know someone who writes, or maybe they just have a story to tell — whatever the reason, they feel life will be incomplete if they can’t write when they grow up. Did I just describe you?
Many a high school newspaper has been started on the side, anonymously, by a quiet teenager who is observant. The need to prove their abilities keeps their articles ethical.
The insatiable desire to write about what they see, either as fact or fiction, keeps them up at night. Perhaps this was you?
Type the word “blog” into any search engine, along with whatever topic interests you, and you’re bound to find people who write for a living — or live to write — or both.
It doesn’t matter when the writing bug bites you, as long as you succumb to the desires and begin writing.
If you don’t, you end up feeling like something in life is missing.
Enjoy these 40 Motivating Quotes About Writing:
Pick one of these famous writing quotes to help you get started writing:
1. “Once, if you told people you were self-published, they’d look at you like you were a smelly old jobless hobo just come off a dusty boxcar with soup can shoes and a hat made from a coyote skull.” -Chuck Wendig
2. “A successful self-publisher must fill three roles: author, publisher, and entrepreneur – or APE.” -Guy Kawasaki
3. “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration. The rest of us get up and go to work.” -Stephen King
4. “There are two types of people in this world: those who can edit and those who can’t.” -Jarod Kintz
5. “The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading. In order to write, a man will turn over half a library to make one book.” -Samuel Johnson
6. “Whatever you may have heard, self-publishing is not a shortcut to anything. Except maybe insanity. Self-publishing, like every other kind of publishing, is hard work. You don’t wake up one morning good at it. You have to work for that.” -Zoey Winters
7. “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” -Steve Jobs
8. “A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” -Wayne Gretzky
9. “Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little.” -Holley Gerth
10. “The few things that work fantastically well should be identified, cultivated, nurtured, and multiplied.” -Richard Koch
11. “A small list that wants exactly what you’re offering is better than a bigger list that isn’t commited.” -Ramsay Leimenstoll
12. “Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do.” -Potter Stewart
13. “In any business that grows big on one business model, transition can throw everything in the air.” -Bing Gordon
14. “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
15. “The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress.” -Philip Roth
16. “I take rejection as someone blowing a bugle in my ear to wake me up and get going, rather than retreat.” -Sylvester Stallone
17. “It’s all about people. It’s about networking and being nice to people and not burning any bridges. Your book is going to impress, but in the end it is people that are going to hire you.” -Mike Davidson
18. “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” -Benjamin Franklin
19. “Nothing is less productive than doing what should not be done at all.” -Peter Drucker
20. “Facebook is life a fridge. Even though you know nothing new is going on, you still go and aimlessly check every ten minutes.” -Unknown Author
21. “Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I’ll give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I’ll give you a stock clerk.” -J.C. Penney
22. “Very narrow area of expertise can be very productive. Develop your own profile. Develop your own niche.” -Leigh Steinberg
23. “WordPress is a part of who I am. Like eating, breathing, music, I can’t not work on WordPress.” -Matthew Mullenweg
24. “Aspiring authors, get this through your head. Covert art serves one purpose, and one purpose only, to get potential customers interested long enough to pick up the book to read the back cover blurb.” -Larry Correia
25. “Video can seem like just another challenge to overcome, but I see a major increase in my business and brand awareness, all from the power of video.” -Lewis Howes
26. “Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.” -Arthur Ashe
27. “Often the best solution to a management problem is the right person.” -Edwin Booz
28. “If people like you, they’ll listen to you, but if they trust you, they’ll do business with you.” -Zig Ziglar
29. “He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.” -Benjamin Franklin
30. “To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted.” -George Kneller
31. “I hate first drafts, and it never gets easier. People always wonder what kind of superhero power they’d like to have. I wanted the ability for someone just to open up my brain and take out the entire first draft and lay it down in front of me so I can just focus on the second, third and fourth drafts.” -Judy Blume
32. “It’s the beginning of a new medium, and no one knows the rules. That’s what makes it exciting and attracts pioneering creators.” -John Northwick
33. “When you publish a book, it’s the world’s book. The world edits it.” -Philip Roth Rachelle
34. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like hard work.” -Thomas Edison
35. “You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what’s burning inside you, and we edit to let the fire show through the smoke.” -Arthur Plotnik
36. “If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.” -Red Adair
37. “Online learning is not the next big thing; it is the now big thing.” -Donna J. Abernathy
38. “The problem is that many entrepreneurs start with good intentions to create a new mindset system and then slack off. The solution is to make that system part of your daily routine.” -Lisa A. Mininni
39. “From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!” -Dr. Seuss
40. “Success does not consist in never making mistakes, but in never making the same one a second time.” -George Bernard Shaw
Do you have a favorite quote that keeps you motivated to write?
If you need to write as much as you need to breathe, I hope these quotes will keep you going, keep you writing, and keep you inspired. You are a writer. Now, go write!
Did you find any value from these quotes on writing?
I hope you’ll use these writing quotes to help you when you’re not motivated to write or have a little writer’s block. Would you like to help others?
Would you be willing to send out some love to your friends and fellow writers? Please share these writing quotes on your preferred social media platform.